In the rapidly evolving field of medical education, integrating spatial computing and medical VR (Virtual Reality) is changing how surgeons are trained. This case study investigates an innovative surgical training program conducted in February 2023 by Mesmerise in collaboration with King’s College London and the NHS. The program, spearheaded by Mesmerise Advisory Board Member and renowned Robotic Head & Neck Consultant Surgeon Mr. Asit Arora and his final-year medical student Mohamed Yousef, represents a cutting-edge step in harnessing immersive environments for surgical education.
The primary objective was to assess immersive environments’ effectiveness as a surgical case-based education platform. A randomized controlled trial involved 28 students divided into two groups: one experienced surgical case-based discussions in VR through Mesmerise’s Gatherings, and the other used traditional video conferencing platforms like Microsoft Teams.
A secondary aim was to identify any barriers students face when using immersive environments for remote learning.
Onboarding and Session Structure
- VR Onboarding: Conducted by Mesmerise, ensuring seamless integration of participants into the VR environment.
- Session Inclusions: The session comprised a group welcome, a clinical case presentation, a lecture, breakout discussions, and a group discussion with a 3D model.
Data Collection Tools
- Multiple Choice Question Tests: Administered pre- and post-session to evaluate knowledge acquisition.
- Questionnaire: A Likert Scale and open questions were included, conducted via Google Forms to gauge the general experience and learning outcomes.
- 3D Tumor Model: Utilized for demonstration, allowing students to examine the tumor from various perspectives.
- Lecture and Discussions: Conducted by specialists, including a session by surgeon Jack Faulkner while on holiday, demonstrating the flexibility of VR training.
- Student Engagement: The VR setting fostered active participation, enhancing student confidence and understanding of surgical anatomy and procedures.
Knowledge Acquisition and Student Feedback
- MCQ Performance: The VR group exhibited significantly better results (mean difference of 3.23 vs 1.54, p= 0.013).
- Educational Value: VR training was deemed superior due to elements like the 3D model, reduced distractions, and novelty factor.
- Student Reactions: Participants praised the VR experience for its innovative approach and effectiveness in medical education, highlighting aspects like spatial audio, visual impact, and the ease of participating in discussions.
Technical Aspects and Session Dynamics
- Technical Execution: There were no notable issues in transitioning to the auditorium or during the session.
- Case Presentation and Lecture: Effectively conducted with clear visuals and engaging content.
- Group Discussions: Despite challenges in retaining discussion points, the VR environment provided a more engaging and supervised learning experience.
- Surgical Video: Enhanced by VR, offering clear visuals and complemented by the adjacent 3D model.
This case study with Mesmerise, King’s College London, and the NHS marks a significant advancement in medical training. The use of spatial computing and medical VR in surgical education not only improved knowledge acquisition but also enhanced student engagement and satisfaction. The findings from this study underscore the potential of VR as a transformative tool in medical education, setting a precedent for future endeavors in the field.
Advanced Medical Training Solutions by Mesmerise
In an era where technological advancements continually reshape medical education, Mesmerise stands at the forefront of this evolution. Our recent collaboration with King’s College London and the NHS underscores our commitment to pioneering medical training techniques.
A Strategic Approach to Medical Education
Mesmerise invites healthcare institutions to explore the integration of spatial computing and medical VR into their training programs. Our approach is designed to align with the rigorous demands of modern medical education, offering a nuanced and practical learning experience.
Engage with Mesmerise
For institutions interested in understanding the application and benefits of these emerging technologies in their training modules, we encourage a dialogue with our team. Mesmerise offers bespoke solutions tailored to the unique needs of each educational environment.
Connect with Us
We welcome inquiries and discussions regarding our programs and how they can be adapted to your requirements. Please reach out to our team for a detailed conversation.